Saturday, March 3, 2012

Gradient Nails

So I'm just going to outright say the pictures in this post are pretty terrible and I know it. I wanted to get some pictures of my nails before they started to chip cause the tips are already starting to wear, but unfortunately its dark out and the lighting in my apartment is complete garbage. I half considered not posting these at all cause I'm embarrassed of how bad the pictures look. Which is sad considering I really like the nails in real life. But anyways...


I know this picture is blurry but this is the most accurate representation of what the nails look like in real life.


My friend prompted me to finally try gradient nails and I was actually really happy with the results. Unfortunately I couldn't get it to photograph worth crap so you'll have to use your imagination. I decided to do red to black but you can follow these steps for any colors you want.


  1. I started by painting my nails the lightest color and then I let it dry. 
  2. After that I took a round makeup sponge and just ripped it into quarters to use for sponging. 
  3. I put a few drops of the medium color on a piece of paper and then dipped the sponge in it, tapped the sponge off on the paper, and then in a stippling sort of motion I blotted the nail polish on my nail concentrating on the tip and then fading up.
  4. I repeated number 3 until the colors faded seamlessly together.
  5. Then take your darkest color and follow steps 3 and 4.
Pretty easy. Try to be light handed, cause you can always add more color. Its pretty hard to make it lighter once you've gone too dark, especially if you aren't working with very opaque nail polishes. 



Nail polish I used:
Sally Hansen Hard As Wraps - Sheer Pink (For my base coat)
NYC - 225
OPI - Lincoln Park After Dark
Wet N Wild - Black Cream
Seche Vite Dry Fast Top Coat

Sorry again for how bad these photos are, but I hope that maybe this post will help you with how to do gradient nails. 

No comments:

Post a Comment